I got up this morning full of enthusiasm, because after all I did have an additional job interview online at 10:00 am. 
I could not really sleep, because I was nervous, excited and felt whatever is normal to feel when you enter a new stage in your life. 
My first thought was to have a cup of coffee and as I tumbled out of the bedroom, my 11 dogs and 9 cats looked at me a little disillusioned, because it was way too early to get up in their opinion. 
Have you ever seen a dog raise it's eyebrows at you with that kind of look that states: 
Are you out of your tree? 
I got that look 11 times, while my mini chihuahua was not sure, if she should keep wagging her tail with speed lightning or just go back to sleep on my pillow.
(I gave up fighting her for my pillow long ago, she wins all the time anyway, and it does not matter how many pillows I put out there, she will choose the one that I want to lay on every time.) 
So as I am fighting my way through the cats and dogs still half asleep and just wishing desperately for a cup of coffee, I passed a mirror and glanced automatically at it. Holy cow, what happened to my hair? 
I keep it short, but THAT looked like my hand was stuck in an electrical socket all night long. 
Oh it dawned on me. 
While I was passed out, my other mini chihuahua played hairdresser again, he loves to just chew and dig in my hair gently, while I am trying to sleep. 
With my eyes still half closed, no contact lenses or glasses nearby, I guessed my way into the direction of the kitchen hoping to turn on my coffee maker, that I set before going to bed....or did I? 
I finally made it halfway through our king sized hallway and peeked at the huge glass sliding door, just to see a pair of big rabbit ears belonging to Bebe, my black and white big and bad boy rabbit. 
I had to separate him from his brother a while back, because he was constantly trying to mutilate him and I know he did not like being alone. 
There are 3 rabbits outside in big cages and if one gets out, it is usually Taz, the brown one. 
Oh well, coffee had to wait. 
It was too early for any of the animals to be outside, because during rainy season in Thailand, the centipedes, scorpions and snakes are out and we have lost animals to their unmerciful stings and bites in the past. 
To catch a rabbit, that is tame and hand raised should be an easy task, I thought - BUT - I did not count on Bebe enjoying his freedom so much. 
We have a huge yard with all kind of tropical palm plants, bushes, fruit trees, lots of grass etc. for the animals and Bebe was not thinking for a second about going back to his safe cage. 
Let the games begin: 
No coffee, no glasses or contact lenses and me running after a rabbit, that has just discovered a 380 m2 garden with everything in it his little rabbit heart could possibly desire. 
I do have a run for the rabbits, where they get to enjoy a little freedom regularly, but it is nothing like that real freedom, Bebe just discovered. 
Out of breath, sweating like a hog because the heat already settled in with unmerciful sunlight, I decided to let him be for a minute and turn on the coffee maker. 
While turning on my computer and doing my usual checking mails and work times for the day, the time passed and knowing it takes exactly 11 minutes for the coffee to be done I was listening for the gurgling noises, the coffee maker usually makes to signal that the coffee is almost done. 
No noises...hmmm...I decided to go check on it. 
Well, Dummy me, I forgot to put down the lid, so I did and turned it on again. (this is one of those modern machines, that does not brew or turn on with the lid up.) 
By now I was really desperate for a freakin' cup of coffee and checked the thermos. 
Oh good - there was a little left from last night. 
I hate cold coffee, but at this point I was desperate, after all I still needed to catch Bebe. 
So inhaling the small sip of cold coffee, that was left in the thermos, I felt a little more awake. 
Next try to catch Bebe - so I thought. 
That rabbit knew what I was up too, and still was not thinking about getting anywhere near me or his cage. 
I will walk for miles and miles, but I refuse to run, so I figured a few more minutes for Bebe to enjoy the garden can't hurt, especially since he had found a nice, juicy patch of grass beneath the gooseberry tree. 
By now I was really looking forward to that freshly brewed, nice, hot and delicious cup of coffee. 
Entering my kitchen, there was still no smell of coffee nor anything sounding remotely like a coffeemaker signaling that fresh coffee is almost available. So I looked at my coffee maker, that I thought, was on, but nothing was happening. 
The clock showed no mercy either and it was 9:15 am by now. 
I still needed to catch Bebe, still had no coffee other than that poor excuse of what once was a delicious liquid the evening before and I still looked like I had been in a major, disastrous storm and started to get a little upset. 
Then I did a little more investigating - Dummy me... I neither poured water in my coffee maker, nor did I add the coffee, so it was not the coffee maker's fault at all, that it did not brew. 
I thought that machine was on a personal vendetta against me and wanted to taunt me for the day. 
I poured the water in, put the coffee in the filter, double checked, pushed the on button and all was well - yet I still needed to catch Bebe. 
I took a foldable cage run, which comes apart, that we use for the water turtles to stay in when cleaning their pool and pulled it apart to build a fence around his cage and the area where the turtles are, since Bebe was hiding there and did not think I saw him. 
Now he was ready to go back to his cage and sweetly looked at me as if to say thank you for my little adventure and happily went into his cage on his own. 
THAT was a relief. 
I folded the run back up and really was looking forward to that nice, fresh cup of coffee. 
So I went into the kitchen with the happy thought of that coffee and by now it was 9:45 am - 15 minutes away to be brain picked about my abilities as a teacher and to discuss my contract that was already on the virtual table. COFFEE NOW PLEASE !!!! 
I had thrown some water on my hair to tame this ridiculous look, that would have scared any interviewer half to death and finally looked civil. 
Bebe was safe again and I found my glasses too and was ready to rumble. 
I got this - all I needed was a cup of coffee and I don't think that was asked to much. 
By now the time is 9:48 am, 12 minutes away from the interview. 
I happily had my cup ready to pour this most deserved and fresh, delicious cup of coffee - but - there was none. 
I must have looked really stupid and made a gesture of some kind, because my big boy dog Loki looked at me like I was off my rocker and went hiding under my desk. 
What and where was the problem and why on earth could I not get a damned cup of coffee this morning? 
Electricity was on, so there was no reason for that stupid thing called coffee maker not to work. 
Oh yes there was !!!!! 
I forgot to plug it in, Dummy me. 
I had exactly 11 minutes and 32 seconds left before I had to be at my virtual interview and quickly plugged the machine in and turned it on. 
I raced to my computer, opened the virtual classroom to pull up the material and at 9:59 am I heard the sound I was so desperately waiting for - the gurgling of the coffeemaker. 
That was the most beautiful sound and smell all morning long and I had exactly 21 seconds left to get that cup of coffee. 
I did and while I am taking that first, most desired sip of it, my interviewer appeared - with a cup of coffee in her hand as well. 
I took another sip and now was ready. 
Of course I passed with flying collars and could now go over to the rest of the day's happenings, which were peaceful and nothing out of the ordinary. 
 And how was your day?

Comments

  1. What a busy day! Is this common?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes yes, it is. But that day one of the rabbits got out and it was just one of those days :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog